Halloween is definitely one of the coolest and most creative holidays ever. Spooky decorations, pumpkins, trick-or-treating and, of course, costumes. It’s the time when people can wear the craziest and the creepiest stuff they could possibly think of. Each Halloween I try to do something challenging for me (like sfx makeup, including scars, open wounds and a lot of fake blood). But this year I thought that it’s a bit boring to do a cool makeup and only be able to make some photos at home and wash everything off, because in Russia most of the people don’t celebrate Halloween. So I decided to do something more wearable, with which I can go out in public and nobody would think that I’m crazy or possessed, and came up with this “urban witch” look. Without further ado, let’s move forward to how I did “Urban witch” makeup look.
DISCLAIMER: I’m not a professional makeup artist so techniques used below may not be correct, that’s just the way I’m used to doing my makeup.
STEP 1. PREP YOUR SKIN
For me, the most important things are to prepare my skin for the makeup and to wash the makeup off properly. Nobody wants breakouts, right? I won’t write much here but, in case some of my readers are interested, I’ll list what I used (and always use) for this step:
- Cleanser – Mentholatum Acnes (メンソレータム アクネス)
- Facemask – Kiehl’s Turmeric and Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Masque
- Toner – Hada Labo Kiwamizu Rose Micellar Water (肌ラボ 極水 ローズ化粧水)
- Moisturizer – Mary Kay Clearproof oil-free moisturizer for acne-prone skin
- Lib balm – Tonymoly Peach Lip Balm
STEP 2. BASE MAKEUP
At this step, I just did my base makeup (foundation, concealer, powder), my brows and primed my eyelids. Here I used:
- Foundation – Missha The Original Tension Pact Intense Moisture (shade No. 13)
- Concealer – NYX HD Photogenic Wand (shade Porcelain) and NYX Pro Foundation Mixer in White (to make the concealer match my skin tone)
- Powder – Rimmel Stay Matte (shade 001 Transparent)
- Brows – NYX Micro Brow Pencil (shade 07 Espresso)
- Eyeshadow primer – NYX Proof It! Waterproof Eyeshadow Primer
STEP 3. TRANSITION SHADE.
Here I added mauvish-nude color(which, for some reason, doesn’t look like one in the photo) in my crease for easier blending in future. Product used:
- Eyeshadow – Divage Velvet Eyeshadow (shadow 7307)
STEP 4. ADDING RED
I added red eyeshadow (or, like I did, blush) to my crease that way it can be visible while my eyes are opened. I used:
- Eyeshadow – NYX High Definition Blush (shade 18 Crimson)
STEP 5. DEEPENING CREASE AND DOUBLE WING EYELINER
I forgot to make a photo of adding dark red eyeshadow but basically, I added the shade Muse from Lime Crime’s Venus to my crease. Then I drew a double wing with black and red eyeliners. For this step I used:
- Eyeshadow – Lime Crime Venus (shade Muse)
- Black eyeliner – Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum (shade Ultra Black)
- Red eyeliner – NYX Vivid Brights Liner (shade 01 Vivid fire)
STEP 6(OPTIONAL). CONTACT LENSES
I decided to add light-pink contact lenses to make my look more spooky and witch-like. If you want to put in contact lenses, I’ll recommend you to do it before makeup because this way nothing like eyeshadows or mascara can get into your eye.
STEP 7. LASHES
It’s time to bring our eye look together by adding lashes. First, I put a thin coat of mascara on my lashes. Then added spiky falsies and blend them with my real lashes by putting another coat of mascara. Our eyes are done! Products used:
- Mascara – Physicians Formula Organic wear 100% Natural Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara
- Eyelash glue – DUO Striplash Clear Adhesive
- False lashes – Decorative Eyelash Playgirl Play Cute
STEP 8. FINISHING THE FACE MAKEUP
I wouldn’t be myself if I didn’t add blush and highlighter to my look. I decided to go with red blush, which I used as eyeshadow because I felt like it would compliment this look. But I had to be extremely careful because this blush is very pigmented and I didn’t want to look like matryoshka-doll at all. Then I highlighted my cheekbones a little bit. I also decided to add freckles, which I drew with red eyeliner. For this step I used:
- Blush – NYX High Definition Blush (shade 08 Crimson)
- Highlighter – Makeup Revolution Goddess of Love Triple Baked Highlighter
- Red eyeliner – NYX Vivid Brights Liner (shade 01 Vivid Fire
STEP 9. LIPS
This what, in my opinion, makes the look witchy. First I outlined my lips with a lip pencil and then filled in with liquid lipstick. To be honest, I would not recommend using Sleek’s matte liquid lipstick because it was a bit patchy and felt very sticky and drying. I used:
- Lip pencil – NYX Suede Matte Lip Liner (shade Cherry Skies)
- Lipstick – Sleek Matte Me (shade Vino Tinto)
STEP 10. SET EVERYTHING.
I usually use setting spray not only for keeping my makeup for all day but also for making my face dewy. That’s why I prefer setting sprays which provide a dewy finish. Product used:
- Setting spray – NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray
And that’s all. Makeup is done! Now you (if you decided to try out this makeup) are ready to turn your offenders into frogs and slimes.
Below I add morе photos of my look for you to see. Hope you’ll enjoy~
That’s all for today. Hope you liked it!
Stay spooky and have a lot of fun this Halloween!